top of page

Niagara Falls, New York.

This was my first trip without Adeline. It was definitely bittersweet. I’m very thankful for the wonderful rest I was able to get, but I missed her terribly.

I left the house around 3 a.m. on September 5th for DFW. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 5:49 a.m. Everything was going very smoothly, we checked our bags went through security and headed to TGIF’s for a quick breakfast. As we were waiting on our food I looked at our boarding passes once again and my watch. I then started to panic. I think I got so starstruck for breakfast that I totally got mistaken on the time. I then proceed to run to the gate, As I arrived, out of breath and really wishing I could take my mask off, the lady informed me that she would not hold the gate for Dan. He was still paying out at the TGIF’s. She said, if you scan that boarding pass you’re going on that flight. So, I walked away in defeat, found Dan and processed to tell him the disaster we were facing.

We asked her when the next available flight was and she was unsure. So, we pulled out our phones and started searching. The only flight out for the 5th was 1,500 dollars per person! We then went through the exit, back into baggage drop off. The lady who checked us into the flight waived us over and asked what happened. I explained what happened and so she started looking for us another flight. The next available flight wasn’t until the morning of the 7th. We were very disappointed But we have a pack to never blame each other for these kind of turn of events. With our bags headed to New York, we headed home. I started calling the Hotel and Get Your Guide trying to change reservation times. The hotel wouldn’t give us a refund sadly, but Get Your Guide was able to change the dates for our Helicopter Tour and Small Group Sightseeing Tour. Hertz was also very understanding and changed the dates with no cost. We then decided that we would leave at 2 a.m for 6 a.m flights. Lesson learned!

On the first day of the trip everything went smoothly and it was nice to not have to check any bags, looking on the bright side of things. We arrived in Buffalo New York and headed to pick up our bags from behind the counter, it was a happy moment to see them. If you are looking to visit Niagara Falls on the New York side, beware that the Hertz Car Rental is definitely the most popular. We waited an hour for our vehicle. We headed to downtown Buffalo for the first night. The Aloft Ascend Hotel was very beautiful and clean. They also had a wonderful Restaurant and Rooftop Bar. It is actually the highest bar in Buffalo. It was very high energy and absolutely beautiful at sunset. We were on the hunt for oysters and they were sold out sadly, so we went to check out the Curtis Hotels restaurant and bar. Although they didn’t have oysters either, it was a very lovely bar. The circular bar actually turns very slowly, so by the end of the night you’re in a different location. The Halibut was delicious!

The second, was a very exciting day. We both saw Niagara Falls for the first time! It definitely had us mesmerized And very excited for our Maid of the Mist Tour. We took some pictures and videos then headed to the, Top of the Falls restaurant. It is a lovely view, but you might want a table inside. The yellow jackets and bees are frequent visitors in the fall, spring and summers Around the Niagara Falls area.

The Anchor Bar is a must while visiting New York. They have the best wings I’ve ever eaten! The New York sides of the falls definitely has less restaurant options then the Canada side, but with all of the COVID 19 restrictions at the boarder we decided to not venture in. We stayed at the Giacomo Hotel in downtown Niagara Falls. I honestly wouldn’t recommend this hotel. It is beautiful but I could tell the room definitely needed a deep clean.

On the third day of our trip, our scheduled tour was the Helicopter ride. We arrived at Rainbow Air on time, but noticed the parking lot empty and the closed sign in the window. I immediately called Get Your Guide. They didn’t realize the new holiday hours. We had our boat tour scheduled for the next day and wouldn’t be able to do both because of conflicting times. So we decided to go ahead and extend the trip one more day. We then walked the falls and walked the Rainbow Bridge to Canada. If you don’t walk all the way to Canadian Customs then you don’t have to do any paper work, but make sure to bring your passport. You will need it to get back unto the US. It was a very beautiful view and the rainbows are everywhere!

On the fourth day we had our Small group sightseeing Tour. Our tour guide Said, was very knowledgeable and you could tell he puts his heart into his work. I would definitely recommend this experience. He picked us up from our hotel and chauffeured us around the falls. The tickets for Maid of the Mist, the Observation Deck and the Hurricane Deck were all included in the price.

Niagara Falls has the worlds highest flow rate. Nikola Tesla, created a water wheel powerplant near the Niagara. It is still here today and the maid of the mist boats are electric Tesla motors in support of the clean environment. It has taken many years and determined people to cut the pollution out of Niagara Falls.

On the fifth day of our trip we were so excited to finally see the Ariel view of the falls! It was only a eight minute ride, but definitely worth the cost. My advice would be to have your camera ready, they load and ascend very quickly. I was very excited to capture this ride on my 360 degree camera. I want viewers to experience exactly how it felt and the butterflies as you fly through the air. The best way to view this video is through a VR (Virtual Reality) headset.

After, we headed to Lewiston. It is a small town about 16 minutes from the falls. We ate at SGT. Peppers Hot Sauces ETC. The brisket was so tender and the sauce was perfect. They have an indoor/outdoor bar, which has a great view of Center Street.

Our flight home was scheduled for a 6:15 p.m departure, so we stopped by the Buffalo Zoo on the way to the airport. It was my first time to see a Polar Bear. I was very disappointed to see her in such distress. Her enclosure is definitely too small, and she paced in small circles. I never know how I am going to feel after visiting a Zoo. I know they are the reason I have really been able to fall in love with animals, but on the other hand how is this Ok for them? I ask mysekf this question a lot. But if I don’t support them financially and we all boycott, how is that going to really help the animal? When they need money for food and medicine?

Feel free to send me your opinions on this matter. The otter seemed as content as could be. I’ve noticed that I have yet to meet a sad Otter. I guess they are just unflappable little beings.

We had a relaxing flight home, even with a layover in Detroit. I arrived home around 12:30 a.m. and was so ready to see Adeline. She was a little grumpy from being woken up but happy to see her Mooma. I can’t even lie, I cried. It’s crazy how much you can love a little human.

As I lied there trying my best to fall asleep, my mind couldn’t help thinking how lucky we are to live in this era. I was able to fly like a bird over Niagara Falls, meet a Polar bear and then travel 1,452 miles home to fall asleep with my little monkey, right by my side; all in a single day.


bottom of page